Search This Blog

Dec 19, 2010

Letter to an Inmate

I have an amazing and beautiful friend who does amazing and beautiful things with the spirit to bless this world and God's children. She got a few girlfriends together, worked to get clearance to go sing to a group of around 30 prison inmates in Arizona, and went and did it. She said they wanted to help give these men hope and that it was very inspiring and the spirit was very strong and by the end these men were glowing. She is amazing (did I already use that word? :) ) and an inspiration to me to go put into action the deeds the Lord inspires me to do.

Her project did not end there. The men loved the music so much and wanted copies, so for Christmas she has fund-raised to purchase the cd's for them and will also be delivering letters to them written anonymously to help them hold on to hope. I want to share this letter that I wrote for an inmate this morning because the spirit really accompanied me while writing it and there are parts in it that are helpful reminders to me, and I hope that some part of it will help you want to be a better person too.

If any of you would like to write a letter, they are accepting letters through December 31st. The e-mail you send the letters to is myfamilytreasures@gmail.com.

To you who is reading this :)

I don't know what brought you to where you are today and that is not important. Our past does not define us...it is our present thoughts, feelings, and dreams that create our today and our future todays. I want you to not define yourself by who you WERE and the things you DID, and allow yourself to dream big and let the happy, healthy, inspiring version of you come out. You may not feel right now like there is a person of that description inside of you, but I assure you there is.

A little background. My husband went to jail I think around 5 times before I met him for various charges--mostly drug related, over a 10 year span. I also had about 7 years of my life in which I used almost every drug under the sun. By saying this I wish to give you hope that change is possible, and that if we can do it, you can do it, regardless of what your past held. My husband had a serious addiction that many people don't come out of alive and I know he is thankful every day that God plucked him up and saved him from that life. (That's how he typically words it.) Friends and acquaintances that we have now would never suspect that we had these backgrounds because we have changed and we are new people. It is never too late. It is NEVER too late.

Start over today. Use you time and your thoughts to your advantage. All things can be used for the good of those who love God--He will help you turn anything and everything into a growth and learning experience. Maybe you learned the hard way in the past--but use that, and choose not to learn that way anymore. You can make a difference for others and the changes they see in you will inspire them. Your experiences and the pain they have caused you CAN be used for your good, your growth, and you can use them to help other people. You may walk by someone on the street, or see someone you love and have a sense, a knowing of what they are going through, because you've been there--and because of that, YOU can give them the perfect words. Oh to have ANY part in saving someone from even part of the pain that you went through--I hope and pray in my heart so much all the time that I can do that for at least one person with the things I say and do.

There will be times when you doubt yourself and your strength and your calling in life, it is to be expected. Turn to the Lord. Think of one person in this world that you love so much--your mother, your daughter, your son, your uncle--and KNOW that God has even more love for you than that--and that He will give you strength and that if you trust him with your life--he will make it a life worth living. Just like you want happiness and good things for those you love, He wants that for you. Remember thoughts that make you feel like crap are from the wrong source.

Use this time to your advantage. Let those you love know that you love them and most importantly work toward that clear vision of you are and who you want to be. Be optimistic, be hopeful. Put things that inspire you into your brain so often that it forces out the negative. It doesn't matter where you've been--keep the positive things you've learned from it, throw the rest out, and move forward into a new higher vision of you. Embody that person.

Love, blessings, and my best wishes and faith

-A Friend

5 comments:

MAMACITA said...

Lovely. LOVED this. Wonderful idea. You DID make me want to be a better person with your words. Carefully and thoughtfully written. You continue to amaze me--and feed my desire to "aspire higher"!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Dear Amber,

Thank you so much for sharing not only this idea but also your words. These are beautiful powerful words that we all need to hear. Thank you for reminding us. Whoever recieves this will surely be moved to heal and help others. Love and hugs, Katie

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...

I hope so Katie and thank you, and thank you mom!

partypatt said...

This is Pat Bahr. Partypatt is my Wii name. Anyway.....beautifully worded, Amber. You are an amazing person and so is your husband. I feel privileged just to know you. Your words and experiences give hope to many who are afraid to even hope anymore. Merry Christmas!