Search This Blog

Dec 4, 2010

Messiah Sing-In

Last night Justin took me to the Messiah sing-in in American Fork! I was so happy! When I went to UVSC our choir and orchestra put on a Messiah sing-in and that was the first and only time I had participated in one until last night, although I have WANTED to go every year.

The orchestra had a few little rough moments as did the soprano soloist, but overall it was very good and moving. There's something about singing "all we like sheep have gone astray" with a large group of people in an old tabernacle that is very moving...and then singing that Christ has taken on him all of our iniquities. There were several songs that were quite moving. As a whole I would have done a couple less solos and a couple more chorus and audience songs--they cut a few that I really like.

I was more impressed my both of the male soloists than I was with the women. Justin and I just kept thinking that his mom's voice is so much more full than the woman who was singing soprano...and I wished I could have heard his Grandma singing the alto solos. (I've heard her voice on a recording before.)

Justin was a little restless through most of it, but I think if I can rope him into it many more times in our lives we'll have to get there earlier so we can SEE and that should make it a little more intriguing for him. :) I was sad to not be able to watch the conductor, or the soloists (vocal and trumpet) but I love the music enough that it was okay.

I've officially decided that as long as I'm able and in an area where it's offered, I want to go to or participate in a Messiah sing-in every year for my whole life. I want to be a cute little old lady walking in with my worn Messiah music that I've carried with me every year since I was 30, with memories of going with all different family members and friends over the years.

Anyone remember the story of how Handel wrote the Messiah?? All I can remember is it was in a remarkably short period of time...and did he lock himself in his room or something? I started to look around online but the kids are needing me and I'm out of time. I'll let you know later if I find out some details. :)

P.S. Thanks to Kim and Kimble for watching the kids so we could go!

2 comments:

MAMACITA said...

So glad you got to go!! Must have been awfully crowded if you couldn't see the conductor or solo performers! Handel wrote it in 24 days.

I like your idea of going every year---some of the musical people we know in the Woodlands had that tradition also!

Mandy said...

I'm SOOOoo glad you were able to go!! I love the Messiah, too-I'm sure it was super fulfilling. I just started going to ward choir the past few months and that has been fulfilling my choir void. Side note: I was going to call you and forgot til just now--weekends often go that way--but THIS Sunday is Boyer Sunday...so we're on a similar schedule with Gurr's sounds like.....