Search This Blog

Jun 12, 2016

7 Sons!

I often get responses to my having seven sons like, "Oh!  I'm SO sorry!" or "Are you going to keep trying for a girl?"

 Just yesterday we were having a yard sale and I spoke with a couple that has 9 children.  They were in their late 50's or early 60's.  They said they had 4 boys and 4 girls and felt like there was one more.  Then I told them that I had seven children and that they are all boys.  The husband was genuinely so sad for me!  Now, it IS possible that he has just learned a lot from having girls, and loves his girls so much that he can't imagine what his experience would be without them, and he's just sorry that I don't get that.  Possible and probable.  He went on to say that his girls are so compassionate and thoughtful and that they call him regularly to check up on him, and that boys are good for when you have to move stuff!!  So sad!

So tonight I was pondering on these things.  I love my boys so much.  Of course.  I would never trade one for a girl, and if I had a feeling that I was done having kids, and I DIDN'T have a girl - that would be FINE!  (I have not had that done feeling yet by the way.) The Lord knows me and knows that I get along good with boys.  These boys were probably some of my best friends in heaven and the Lord knew that this was how our special relationships could continue to grow, and that we could continue to enjoy each other and teach each other a lot.  I always have had a lot of guy friends.

Anyway, just venting and pondering on how to respond to people when they say these crazy things to me!   Maybe, my boys are a joy and the Lord really knows me....  Any ideas?

P.S.  Justin loves them too ;)

I have to add to this.  I wrote this a couple months ago, but just the other night someone casually, jokingly suggested that I let one of my children go light themselves on fire during a fireworks show because "I could afford to loose one of them."  What!?  Some things are just not funny, or right, or okay to say.....or think.  Now I know he didn't mean any harm, so I don't really blame him, but it got me thinking.  Yes, I have a lot of children.  So does God.  I am sure that Heavenly Father himself doesn't feel like He can afford to loose one of His children.  Anyway, that's all.  It was helpful for me to ponder on how much Heavenly Father loves each one of us.  People sometimes......geez.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GEEEEEZZZZZZZ NO KIDDING!! What a stupid and thoughtless thing to say!! I'm sure also that it wasn't meant to hurt or demean, but some people's mouths keep going WAY AFTER their brains have stopped working! I like the comments you put as far as what you could say in response! About "my boys are a joy", etc.!! Another easy one is just "oh I wouldn't even know what to do with a girl!" (then laugh hysterically) (jk)
I brag all the time to people about my daughter and son-in-law that have SEVEN boys! I think it's AWESOME! You guys will continue to be very VERY busy for the next several years as I'm sure you know---just like you know that it is a labor of love that you will reap the benefits of FOREVER. xoxo