Search This Blog

Oct 20, 2018

Learning Languages

I'm processing a lot lately and need to write about it to sort it out a little.

Lately I've had a renewed love for languages.  We have some new friends, the parents of our older friend, that only speak Cebuano, a Filipino dialect.  The Dad speaks more English than the Mom, but they both just speak a little.  He may speak a little better than he lets on, but he's very shy to speak it, and I sadly have a hard time understanding him.  I want to be able to communicate with them--so I've started trying to pick up some Cebuano.  Besides wanting to be able to communicate, I also just want them to know and feel that they are important and people care to get to know them.  Language barriers are a frustrating thing and I don't think I've ever been around people so often, that I am unable to communicate with.

All of these feelings are reminded me that in high school, I felt that I wanted to be fluent in 5 languages in my life, and the equivalent of fluent on 5 instruments.  I haven't worked on those goals, and they never really became actual goals, but I am relearning, that I have a love of languages.....and the people that speak them.  I have a desire to experience different cultures, and to help my children develop a love of people and cultures as well.  I realized yesterday that the love of languages is a gift of the spirit, a version of the gift of tongues.

I feel like it's a complication that I was just getting motivated to start teaching my family Spanish (which I need lots of refreshing on myself) and then this desire to learn Cebuano started growing.  This is my challenge often.  I kind of want to do and learn everything.  I think I just need to move forward with teaching them Spanish and refreshing and studying my own Spanish, while still learning some Cebuano.  It can be done.

I think I was raised to love Spanish.  How could I not love Spanish?  I was born in Arizona, lived in California until I was 10, and then lived in Texas until I was 19.  There was always Spanish around me.  That's a beautiful thing about our country-how much influence there is from Central and South America.  You feel that more when you go somewhere else that doesn't have that influence, like New Zealand. :)

In New Zealand most everyone speaks English.  There's English, some Maori and some Samoan.  Beautiful languages and beautiful people and heritage.

So there we have it.  I need to make a plan to start teaching Spanish to my family.  Part of my motivation is that we sponsor a little boy in Peru.  I want the kids to feel more connected to him.  We get little notes from him and his mom occasionally that they write in Spanish and that get translated to English. 

No comments: