Search This Blog

Jun 23, 2015

Reflections on Trek

My husband, oldest son, and I had the glorious opportunity to go on a 4 day trek in Wyoming this past week.  In those several days we were able to walk in the footsteps of Mormon pioneers, the Willie and Martin handcart companies for about 22-30 miles. (We were told 22 miles....but if you ask a fit bit, the miles were much higher. ;))

I did not anticipate the emotional challenge I would have adjusting back to regular life upon our return, and I'm hoping to work out some of those feelings by further processing here some of the things I learned on trek.

People are often so different than they seem at first.  Sometimes after being with people for days, you realize that you misread their intentions or motivations early on. They may seem bossy or impatient, or insensitive and harsh, but after some time it is revealed that their intention was always to help in the best way they knew how.  Giving people the benefit of the doubt, and not jumping to conclusions about the emotions they seem to be expressing, is so important.


We had some very differing personalities in our trek family and getting to see how they all tick was so interesting.  I loved seeing their individual strengths be revealed over time.  We had some very strong, willing, DOING boys, quiet, observant, artistic, creative, emotional and nurturing boys. We had some observant, quiet, confident, nurturing, deep, self-less, musical, happy girls.  There were several experiences I could point to that taught me a lot with these kids.  The ability, strength, and willingness to serve and be served.  The beautiful tendency to put others ahead of themselves and the desire to make it as easy on others as possible.  Three out of our five girls had health issues at different times, and we had one of them spend some time in the handcart, being pulled.  Everyone was happy to do it for her, as we all felt so, so bad that she was in pain.  Everyone just wanted to do whatever was needed to lift any piece of the burden possible, and it was no burden at all to those helping.  We came out of this experience loving them all so much.  Our family was just as it should have been, and it was an honor to be there with them.  Thank you guys for singing with me on the trail!

These experiences helped give a little insight into how the pioneers must have felt.  The willingness many had to stand in icy rivers all day, helping others across, doing all they could to lessen the suffering of someone else.  The heart of a father, mother, spouse, or friend, that shared some of their tiny rations, that THEY desperately needed, to help save a life, or not.  The heart of a brother that carried his little brother up Rocky Ridge in a snow storm, alone, with no food, but died after getting his brother there safely.

 I walked into Martin's Cove with my husband, holding my little bag with my ration, 4 oz of flour, thinking of how it didn't feel right for me to have as much as my husband.  Meanwhile, he was looking at his bag and thinking of how he would give it to his hungry child in an instant.  These experiences take you down to the depths of humility and Christlike, self-less love.  They speak to your soul.


This marker is at Rock Creek Hollow in Wyoming.  Thirteen members of the Willie handcart company passed away on the same day, after traveling 15 miles in a snow storm, including the 700 ft ascent of Rocky Ridge.  They were out of food and had to get to Rock Creek Hollow that day, to get to the rescuers and more food.  Nearby, two more are buried; two that helped dig the grave for these 13, then passed away the following day.

What a sacred, and hollowed experience.  These people gave all and had miracle after miracle occur because of their faith in Jesus Christ and his restored gospel.  None of them regretted their sacrifices.  They all were willing to lay down their lives in a just cause for the Lord.  They knew how important temple blessings were, and they gave all for them. 

 What am I doing to sacrifice for the Lord?  What am I doing to make sure that the world is not distracting me from all that really matters?  Am I allowing the Lord to stretch and mold me?  Am I willing to be uncomfortable if necessary, if on the errand of the Lord.  I can't just come home and go on with my normal life like nothing just happened.  Something has changed.  I have changed.

2 comments:

MAMACITA said...

Wow Amber! So touching to read! and I know this is just a scratch on the surface of so many more experiences and insights you had! Having heard a few of them--I CAN'T WAIT to get to now READ about those and maybe even more!!

Unknown said...

Agreed!